Focus area 3: Promoting human rights
The UN System in Turkmenistan supports the protection and promotion of human rights as critical for effective development and sustainability. Human rights is central to the UN’s value system in all its work.
The focus of the UN Country Team (UNCT) includes assistance to the Government of Turkmenistan to ensure that the country meets its international obligations assumed under a number of international human rights instruments such as the Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC), the Convention on Elimination of all Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW), the Convention on the Rights of People with Disabilities (CRPD), the Convention on Elimination of all Forms of Racial Discrimination (CERD), the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR), the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights (ICESCR), the Convention against Torture (UNCAT), the Convention against Transnational Organized Crime and many others.
The UNCT has been strongly advocating for not only aligning the national legislation with international human rights standards, but for the implementation of recommendations Turkmenistan has accepted from UN Human Rights Treaty Bodies, Universal Periodic Review and other mechanisms. The focus in 2016 includes:
- Support to the Government to submit reports on CEDAW and CESCR
- Implementing Human Rights Up Front Initiative
- Support the implementation of the approved human rights related action plans highlighted above
- Support the development of a national unified human rights monitoring system
- Conduct events to advocate against the stigma of HIV
- Conduct events to highlight the importance of NGOs for effective development and sustainability
- Celebrate Human Rights day with many events highlighting the importance of human rights